Edam, the center and other special walks.
In 2007 Edam celebrated its 650th anniversary as a 'city'. The Edam round cheese has made Edam famous all over the world and is therefore widely sold in Edam in the tourist center. Now you no longer experience Edam as a city, but as a beautiful, authentic place full of history.
You can eat well in various places in Edam, but you can also go for a walk. But especially outside the tourist center, experience how beautiful and quiet it is and what special places you can find. For this we have put together a special walk in Edam, which you can take. You can read about this on our blog .
You can walk or cycle to Edam from the Kaakberg. That's about 5 km.
- From the Kaakberg you can walk on or under the dike to Edam.
From the Kaakberg turn right . If you want to walk on the dike, you can climb directly up or via the stairs (first to the left to go to the stairs and then right again towards Edam. The Beach: unfortunately due to the work of the dike reinforcement, the beach is less easily accessible, but we know many alternative places to swim.
- We advise you to wear boots after a lot of rain as it can be soggy. At the shed in front of the Kaakberg there is a rack with boots that you can use, but it is probably better to bring your own boots.
- The view is phenomenal on all sides. After the bend towards Edam, you can go left down the stairs and towards Strandbad.
- Walk to Edam to have something to eat or drink. Or you can walk right after the stairs towards the center of Edam.
- You can bring the dog.
Do you want a longer walk? Then cross the water at the lock (which you will see on your left) and then follow the walk over the dike, towards Volendam.
Other places or towns of interest nearby are:
- Volendam is very touristy, but the harbor is lively and charming. In Volendam eating eel is part of it. You can eat the best at Smit Bokkum (just ask someone where Smit Bokkum is), not cheap, because eel is becoming rare and may not be fished much. Or you order 'butter en eek' in a Volendam restaurant. For example in Spaander and be sure to check out the beautiful coffee room full of paintings.
- Broek in Waterland, a beautiful little town with wooden houses with specific colours. From the N247 Edam - Amsterdam turn right and park the car.
- Hoorn: Visit the harbour. You can also find the statue of the Ship Boys of Bontekoe here.
- Enkhuizen: Here too a famous image: the boy with his finger in the dike. Not a true story, but the American children's book about Hans Brinker made it world famous. If you are with children, visit the outdoor museum of the Zuiderzee Museum
- Marken: You can drive to Marken via the dike (which starts at Monnickendam). Or you can go by boat from Volendam to Marken. Wander around Marken and especially go into the small streets. Queen's Day is a celebration here with many people wearing the traditional costume, with orange details for that day. If you want a beautiful long walk, take the walk to the lighthouse. Ask for directions at the parking lot.
- From the Kaakberg you can make various cycling trips, along the dike or into the villages. We have cards here or can print something out for you.